Phil Owen

Phil grew up in the West Midlands and now lives in Telford, Shropshire. Previously he built up a successful career in energy sales before qualifying as an independent energy assessor. Over the last four years, Phil has gained invaluable experience working on commercial properties as well as residential properties helping people and companies achieve energy savings.

Phil has worked with individuals, landlords, estate agents, house builders, developers, commercial companies as well as public service organisations such as leisure centres and schools providing him with the experience to help him meet the many and varied needs of his clients. He currently serves as Technical Director for GDAM.

Phil is able to offer both residential and commercial Energy Performance Certificates (EPC’s). He is also a qualified Air Conditioning Assessor and therefore able to offer assessments for Level 3 TM44 air conditioning systems found in many large buildings. He is also qualified to carry out Legionella risk assessments, which is now a mandatory requirement for domestic rental properties. Combining his wealth of experience with his training, means that he is able to offer a unique service to his clients to ensure they get the best advice to meet their particular needs.

Over the years Phil has worked with many organisations to help their customers and clients. He has a natural ability to put himself in the shoes of others and often goes the extra mile with customers to ensure that they receive the most appropriate and accurate advice.

One example of his approach to work is the situation of an elderly couple that were having to work all hours to make ends meet. They were struggling to keep warm in their own home and consequently suffering from ill health because they were unable to afford to turn the heating on. Having produced an energy assessment on site, he identified that they were in desperate need of a new boiler but did not qualify under most funding initiatives due to their determination to continue working. As a result, they did not qualify for any benefits. As Phil was heavily involved in his local council’s green deal community’s scheme, he managed to secure 75% of the cost towards a new boiler. As the couple were still unable to contribute the remaining 25%, Phil raised their case with the council, including a list of past illnesses that they had both suffered over years. The council realised that this was a unique case and agreed to fully fund the boiler through the green deal community’s scheme.

Phil can be contacted at:

Address: 79 Shepherds Lane, Telford, TF1 5EH.

Telephone: 07445 000141