Display Energy Certificates and Advisory Reports

GDAM have a team of experienced in-house DEC assessors ready to help you meet your obligations.  We are happy to advise you on the current legislation and whether your building needs a Display Energy Certificate.

The purpose of Display Energy Certificates (DECs) is to raise public awareness of energy use and to inform visitors to public buildings about the energy usage of that particular building.

Display Energy Certificate facts:

  • A Display Energy Certificate (DEC) provides an energy rating of the building from A to G, where A is very efficient and G is the least efficient.  This based on the amount of energy actually used in a 12 month period.
  • A DEC is valid for 12 months and must be updated before the end of the period of validity.
  • Your DEC must be displayed in a public place.
  • There are penalties and fines imposed for failure to display a valid DEC.
  • An Advisory Report must also be held and must be renewed every seven years. This Report contains specific recommendations for improving the energy performance of the building and reducing its’ energy usage.

Does your building require a Display Energy Certificate (DEC) and Advisory Report (AR)?
The answer is YES if:

  • It is funded directly or indirectly by public money (50% or more of your income) OR the function within the building was traditionally provided by a public body e.g. Sports Trust, Residential Care or similar taken over from a Council, AND
  • Your building is over 250m2 gross internal area, AND
  • Is regularly visited by members of the public.

A Display Energy Certificate can only be issued by an accredited Public Building Energy Assessor. If your property requires a DEC you must instruct an approved assessor to survey the building to determine the energy rating.

Buildings likely to be affected include:

  • Central and local government buildings
  • NHS trusts and hospitals
  • Doctor’s surgeries and clinics
  • Schools and further education establishments
  • Universities and higher education establishments
  • Police stations, fire stations, courts and prisons
  • Executive agencies and statutory regulatory bodies
  • Public leisure centres and golf clubs (but not private ones)
  • Libraries, museums and art galleries.

We recently have helped clients as far apart as Torquay, Northallerton, Morecambe and Maidstone. Where-ever you are located in England or Wales, we can help.

We are happy to advise you on the current legislation and whether your building needs a Display Energy Certificate.  For more information, please call 01908 664040 or complete our online enquiry form here.